Monday, February 9, 2009

元宵节快乐!Happy Lantern Festival!

Today was the 15th day of the lunar calendar, which is the first full moon of the lunar year. It also marks the last day you can legally buy or set of fireworks in China. Needless to say, there were many fireworks set off tonight.
Traditionally, to celebrate the first full moon, people would walk on the street holding lanterns, but today I didn't see anyone holding a lantern, except one child holding a Pokemon shaped inflatable lantern. A taxi cab driver told me it's a tradition that has pretty much died. It seems to be something that everyone has forgotten about it.
A tradition that they haven't forgotten is eating 汤圆 (tang1yuan2), or glutinous rice balls with red bean paste filling. They're great. But don't eat too many or you'll get a stomach ache, as two cab drivers told me. I found it strange that two seperate cab drivers reminded me not to eat too many. One of the cab drivers described tangyuan as, "difficult to continue eating, once you've had too many." Isn't this the case with every food? Why did two cabbies tell me the same thing? Oh, questions that have no particular answer!

Well, It's 12:30am right now and everything has settled down. For the first time in half a month, it is completely silent in Beijing.



Andy and I


Ariel and Andy buying fireworks


One of the fireworks we bought


an audience


my bedroom view

No comments: