Sunday, June 10, 2007

chinglish

It finally happened.
Sometime last week, I started to be able to actually use this language. Ross and I have nights sometimes where we are only allowed to speak Chinese. Of course, our conversation is extremely limited but it's not so much about what you want to say, its about what you are able to say.
For example, I befriended this one Korean guy from my Chinese classes which i take 2 hours each weekday. My Chinese speaking level is about par with his and so we only speak in Chinese. Sometimes it is a bit frustrating because you can't say exactly what you want to say, but it's not about that. It's about taking the words and structures you know and applying as much fucking vocabulary that you possibly can! It is incredibly rewarding. Luckily, we're able to communicate a bit easier cause he knows some English. So we use Chinese structure and apply English vocabulary. I think its called Chinglish.

No comments: